The AWARE project is an integrated response to non-discrimination and integration of the population of prisoners with mental health problems across Europe. The objective of the project is to train prison staff to recognize, refer and/or treat moderate severe mental health problems within the confines of daily prison and probation systems, and to foster better integration between agencies working in prisons and probation on health, mental health, substance abuse and resettlement. The aim of the training is both to reduce stress factors for staff and to deliver more effective outcomes for the successful resettlement of prisoners.
- European report on the best practices for the support of prisoners with mental health issues
- The AWARE curriculum and training modules
- The AWARE manual, handbook and guide
- Development of a tool to assess the needs of stakeholders dealing with mental health issues in the criminal justice system
- The AWARE short training course to support staff working with prisoners or former prisoners with mental health issues.
- The AWARE national and European multi agency training and integration seminar
- Bremen Senate of Justice and Constitution, Germany (coordinator)
- Innovative Prison Systems, Portugal
- Athens Lifelong Learning Institute
- CPIP, Romania
- Stichting Foundation, Netherlands
- University of Beira Interior
- New Bulgarian University, Bulgaria
Erasmus +, Key Action 2, Strategic Partnerships in the Field of Adult Education